Try before you buy. The first section of this class is available for free. Simply select "Free Introduction" from the drop list above before hitting the "Add to Cart" button. No credit card information required.
You can also watch the first section online by scrolling down the page.
Recommended Media Player:
For uninterrupted, quality viewing of the class downloads, we recommend using VLC media player. VLC is a free media player that is compatible with Android, iOS, iPadOS, and other platforms.
At the core of photography are shutter speeds, apertures, and ISO settings. As beginners we learn the basics, add to that from our own experience, and move on to other topics. This class is designed for the photographer that wants to take that core tenet of photographic knowledge - and master it. This class takes a deep-dive into the elements involved in creating the perfect exposure and covers all relevant topics related to the subject with exacting detail.
Class starts off, like many other photography classes, covering the three key elements of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, but with an uncommon deep dive into each of the topics. The latest advances in camera technology with stacked sensors and electronic shutters have added a new element to the old topic, and this class has all that covered.
The middle portions of the class look at how light is properly read and how to create a perfect exposure. A wide variety of step-by-step examples will show you the right exposure process for a variety of situations including:
- freezing action
- blurring motion
- maximum depth-of-field
- shallow depth-of-field
- maximum sharpness
The final sections will take you deeper into solving a variety of exposure challenges. Working in poor light, unusual light and terrible light all have a number of solutions outlined and explained. The artificial light section will show the relationship between ambient and strobe light, and how to navigate one of the most difficult exposure challenges you are likely to face. A final section on post production will detail the common steps you can make to optimize any exposure you have made, as well has the limits of what can be done.
This class is not designed for a particular level of photographer, but rather one that wants to understand the core elements of photography, and completely master it. It’s assumed that most students will have a base understanding of exposure, and this class is purpose built to take those skills to the highest level.
- 12 videos in High Definition (HD)
- 7h 32m of class content
- Class Notes (38 page printable PDF)
- Learning Projects Workbook (10 page printable PDF)
- Video Index (3 page printable PDF)
- Fully downloadable files that you own forever and/or stream each video
- In-depth explanation and discussion of Shutter Speeds, Apertures, and ISO settings; with lots of examples
- Exposure modes, adjustments, and their settings are explained in detail
- Additional advice on tricky lighting, artificial light, and how to use a range of exposure tools and techniques
Who is this class for?
- New photographers looking to master all exposure related skills
- Experienced photographers wanting to hone their exposure techniques and take them to the next level
- Serious photographers who take pride in good technique and desire to get things right, in the camera
The guide is highly organized to help you find important information quickly.
- Introduction - 45 min - FREE SECTION [watch below or download for free]
- Shutter speed - 62 min [includes: Learning Project 1, Quiz]
- Aperture - 46 min [includes: Learning Projects 2 & 3, Home Study Project, Quiz]
- ISO - 24 min [includes: Learning Project 4]
- Metering - 30 min [includes: Learning Project 5, Quiz]
- Exposure modes - 27 min
- Exposure adjustments - 23 min
- Exposure settings - 58 min [includes: Quiz]
- Tricky lighting - 30 min
- Tools & techniques - 30 min [includes: Learning Project 6]
- Artificial light - 50 min
- Post production - 22 min
Watch section 1 for free:
How do you access the files?
There are three ways you can access your purchase:
- On the Order Confirmation page, click on "Click here to download your digital goods"
- Via the link that will be emailed to you
- From your John Greengo Photography account page (course download instructions)
Course download size:
- 12 video files (mp4) & 3 PDF files - 4.3GB total [Full Course]
- 1 video file (mp4) - 428MB total [Free Introduction]
We use SendOwl for our download service.